Environmental education is key to improving access to rural green space.
These lesson plans are ideal for school trips, learning in a school’s nature area, or even for study in a back garden.
Our green space
Small green world
Invent an outdoor strategy game
- inventing an outdoor strategy game resource one
- inventing an outdoor strategy game resource two
- inventing an outdoor strategy teacher notes
- slug hunting resource one
- slug hunting resource two
- slug hunting resource three
- slug hunting resource four
- slug hunting resource five
- slug hunting teacher notes
- what is a lichen, resource one
- what is a lichen, resource two
- what is a lichen, resource three
- what is a lichen, teacher notes
Educational trips to Kenfig Nature Reserve
With this pack, tutors can run rich educational activities in Kenfig nature reserve without a warden. There is also an associated family activity pack.
The teacher’s pack has lesson plans linked to the curriculum and the Literacy and Numeracy Framework (LNF). It is free to access by teachers and families.
The Kenfig National Nature Reserve (Kenfig NNR) has good opportunities for a range of biology field studies at all levels. Adjacent to the reserve is a large car park. The Reserve Centre has a field-study classroom and equipment that can be hired by contacting the Reserve Manager.
Kenfig Reserve Manager
T: 01656 743386.
The reserve is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is actively managed to maintain the different habitats it contains like:
- both sandy and rocky shoreline
- the largest freshwater lake in South Wales
- sand dunes of national importance
- dune grassland
- open water
The Kenfig National Nature Reserve blog is a useful starting point before a visit. It has a map, and notes on habitats as well as the reserve’s management and ecology. Also, Kenfig's Facebook page has news.
Additional information on running surveys can be found in the ‘JNCC Handbook for Phase 1 Habitat Survey: a Technique for Environmental Audit’.
Reach worked with local schools to develop the above learning materials. The resources allow teachers to identify and access rural green space in Bridgend County Borough which they can use in their classes. With the materials, teachers can take learners outside in all weathers all year round, and use our green space more. The resources have been expanded over several years.