Caerau Heat Scheme
Caerau Heat Scheme is a highly innovative project that will provide low-carbon heat and a reduction in energy bills to properties in Caerau.
It aims to:
- Demonstrate investment potential and scalability of an innovative local renewable energy scheme
- Provide enhanced energy security and resilience to residents and businesses
- Address fuel poverty and health inequalities among residents
- Support the development of a new energy industry and create opportunities for local supply chain businesses
- Develop skill levels and community education in the low carbon agenda
The Scheme currently proposes to extract heat from water contained within flooded former coal mine workings to provide the heat resource for heating and hot water for properties within Caerau.
As a demonstrator project, Caerau Heat Scheme has numerous stakeholders including; Welsh Government, UK Government, Cardiff University, BGS, Energy Systems Catapult, Natural Resources Wales and The Coal Authority.
For such an exciting and complex scheme, a significant amount of feasibility and development work has taken place over a number of years.
Highlights from the last 6 months include:
- Further mine water investigations have taken place, including re-visiting the test drilling site on the Old Brewers Site.
- Experienced heat network consultants Nordic Heat have been appointed to undertake the detailed project design and development.
- A detailed study into making a connection to the wind farm for a low carbon electricity supply for the scheme has shown positive results. This could also supply electricity to Caerau Primary School.
Can you help?
This winter we’ve appointed the Energy Systems Catapult to carry out some really important research to help us understand your heating needs and experience to design and test an affordable heating tariff for the Caerau Heat Network.
They are planning to monitor heat usage in homes over the winter by installing a tado° Smart Thermostat. This replaces conventional room thermostats and lets you control your heating system remotely and allows us to get the information we need with minimal fuss.
If you join and give permission to collect your energy consumption data, you’ll get a free tado° Smart thermostat and £75 in cash. You can get a further £75 if you take part in other activities, like surveys, over the next 6 months.
What’s in it for you?
Your community, your voice
We are working to understand what you want from heating at home. You’ll be taking part in the trial, along with other local residents; offering your community a voice in deciding what works for your needs and location.
Control over your heating
You’ll be given a tado° smart thermostat - for free! It is operated via a smartphone app that gives you full control over your heating wherever you are.
Rewards for your time
We realise your time is precious. To thank you for your feedback and participation in research, Energy Systems Catapult will pay you up to £150 for activities you take part in.
If you are interested in taking part, or have any questions, then email email@example.com with your contact details, including your address, and they’ll get in touch to take you through the next steps.
Bridgend Council was awarded funding from the European Regional Development Fund through the Welsh Government, Priority 3 (Priority 3: Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency) to progress the Scheme, for completion in 2023.
If you would like to know more about Caerau Heat Scheme, contact the Project Manager at Bridgend County Borough Council.