Scrutiny of religious education
The Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE) is a legally required group that monitors religious education.
The duties of a SACRE
In our county, a SACRE:
- advises on worship and religious education in the agreed syllabus, with advice covering teaching methods, materials and teacher training provision
- considers whether an ‘Agreed Syllabus Conference’ should review the local authority’s syllabus
- considers requests for exemptions from Christian worship
- annually reports to the local authority and the Department for Education on its activities
The make-up of a SACRE
Three groups form a SACRE:
- Christian and other religious denominations
- teachers’ associations
- the local authority
The Education Acts of 1944, 1993 and the Education Reform Act of 1988 determine a SACRE’s membership.