Additional Learning Needs
The Welsh Government is changing the way that children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) will be supported. The new system defines SEN as Additional Learning Needs (ALN). The new law for supporting children and young people with ALN will bring about several main changes that will make the process simpler and more transparent for all involved.
This website will provide advice and information to parent(s)/ carer(s) and young people about ALN, the new ALN system and what these changes will mean for children, young people and their families.
Getting support: a step-by-step guide
Speak to your child’s teacher
If you think that your child has Additional Learning Needs (ALN) talk to your child’s teacher or ALN Coordinator (ALNCo).
Create an Individual Development Plan (IDP) together
If the school agrees with you that your child has ALN, the school will work with you and your child to create an IDP.
Discuss and concerns with the school, or local authority
If the school does not agree that your child has ALN, or you are dissatisfied with your child’s IDP, discuss it with the school or local authority
You can have access to an advocate
If the local authority agrees with the school but you are still unhappy, they can point you to independent advocacy services
You have a right to appeal
All children and your people and their parents or carers have the right to appeal against decisions to the Education Tribunal of Wales (ETW)
- Hearing Impaired Team v1.1 - PDF 288Kb
- Visual Impairment Team v1.0 - PDF 115Kb
- Role of the Early Years Additional Learning Needs Officer v1.0 - PDF 272Kb
- How the special educational needs system is changing - information for children, young people, parents and carers v1.1 - PDF 443Kb
- Communication and Relationships Team - Speech and Language v1.0 - PDF 241Kb
- Communication and Relationships Team EBSD ASD v1.1 - PDF 24Kb
- Definition of additional learning needs v1.0 - PDF 284Kb
- ALN information, advice and guidance for parents and carers v1.0 - PDF 5273Kb