Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Council tax reduction

Council tax reduction helps people on low incomes to pay their council tax.

You are eligible if you are claiming job seekers allowance or income support, or if your income is below a certain level.

You are also eligible if you are receiving universal credit.

You can check your eligibility in the My Account form ‘Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction’.

Please note that you are not entitled to withhold council tax payments while your claim is being assessed.

If you are awarded a council tax reduction, a breakdown will explain the calculation and your duty to notify the Council Tax Team of any changes.

A to Z Search