The benefits you could claim
- Housing benefits. This helps towards paying rent to a social landlord.
- Local housing allowance. This helps towards paying rent to a private landlord.
- Council tax reduction. This is help towards paying your council tax bill.
- Free school meals/Pupil Development Grant (PDG/Access Grant). This scheme allows you to apply for free school meals and a uniform grant for children attending comprehensive schools.
You may also be able to claim other benefits from the DWP such as universal credit.
Recent changes to benefits
- universal credit reform
- the bedroom cap in this factsheet about housing benefit changes
Money advice from the external services
The Money Advice Service, Ask Ma, is a free, unbiased service that offers advice and help so people can make the most of their money. Ask Ma’s newly launched Debt Advice Locator helps people manage their debts, and gives people access to free and impartial debt advice.
Bridgend’s Credit Union, Bridgend Lifesavers, offers savings, loans and other financial products to people normally excluded by high street banks or building societies.
Citizens Advice Bureau gives free advice and helps solve problems with debt, consumer issues, benefits, housing, legal matters, employment, and immigration.
Age Concern Morgannwg Ltd is a charity that improves the quality of life for older people in Rhondda Cynon Taff, Bridgend and Merthyr County Boroughs.