Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Bus passes

A free concessionary bus pass allows you to enjoy unlimited travel on all local bus services throughout the whole of Wales.

For example, if you have a bus pass from Bridgend County Borough, you can use it to enjoy unlimited travel in Rhyl.

Who is eligible for a free concessionary bus pass?

Everyone in Wales can receive a free bus pass once they reach 60 years of age.

You can also apply for a free bus pass if you:

  • receive Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
  • receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • receive War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • receive an award under Tariffs 1-8 of the War Veterans Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
  • are severely sight impaired
  • are severely or profoundly deaf
  • have a blue badge
  • are unable to speak
  • have an impairment or injury that makes walking very difficult
  • are without arms or unable to use both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • would be refused a licence under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, unless it’s for misuse of drugs or alcohol

Companion passes

Some people need another person to travel with them due to a medical issue or disability. In such cases, you may be able to get a companion pass so that they can travel with you for free. There may be an extra charge for this, which the applicant will need to pay, as we may require medical evidence.

How to apply

If you are applying based on age, you can apply up to three weeks before your 60th birthday.

You can apply in person at the following locations:

  • Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend
  • Aberkenfig Library
  • Maesteg Library
  • Ogmore Vale Life Centre
  • Pencoed Library
  • Pontycymer Library
  • Porthcawl Library
  • Pyle Life Centre

We will also need:

  • a recent passport-style colour photograph of the applicant
  • proof of age, such as a birth certificate, passport, or driving licence
  • two proofs of address such as a combination of a utility bill, council tax bill, bank statement, driving licence, or benefit and pension documents
  • you may need to submit additional documents if you are applying based on a disability or medical condition
  • your National Insurance Number

Once the application has been accepted, passes will be processed within 21 working days and will be posted directly to the applicant’s home address.

Lost or stolen passes

We process replacement bus passes within 7-10 working days. There may be a £5.00 charge for this.

More information

Visit Transport for Wales's website for more information about the concessionary travel pass.


Public Transport Unit

Bridgend County Borough Council
Telephone: 01656 642559
Address: Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB.

A to Z Search