Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection


Fly-tipping is illegally dumping waste. This could be on the side of the road, on private land or in rivers.

It is a criminal offence and anyone found guilty of fly-tipping can be fined up to £50,000 and face up to six months in prison. This can be increased to five years if hazardous waste is dumped, such as toxic waste or asbestos. If convicted in the crown court, fines are unlimited and a prison sentence of up to five years can be imposed.

It is also illegal for an owner or occupier of land to allow someone to dump rubbish on their land if they do not have a waste management licence or an exemption.

Residents must take care when employing traders or contractors who remove any waste from their property. They can be fined up to £5,000 if their rubbish is fly-tipped, even if they did not physically dump it themselves.

How to prevent fly-tipping

Use a registered waste carrier to remove waste. If you use a private company make sure you:

  • ask to see their certification. They must be a registered or an exempt waste carrier to take away your waste. You can do this online on the Natural Resources Wales website.
  • ask where they will take the waste. It should only be to an authorised site. A legitimate waste carrier will not mind you asking questions.

If you are a business, you must make sure you get a Duty of Care Waste Transfer Note from the waste carrier.

If you see rubbish being fly-tipped

If you see rubbish being fly-tipped, it will be useful to know:

  • where the incident took place
  • date, and time
  • a description of what was tipped and the quantity
  • what happened, how many people were involved, what did they look like and what they did
  • if a vehicle was involved, and if so, the vehicle’s details

Do not approach anyone you see fly-tipping yourself in case the situation escalates.

Fly-tipping on private land

If rubbish is fly-tipped on private land and there is no evidence of who dumped it, action can be taken against the owner or occupier of the land if:

  • the owner or occupier let someone dump the rubbish of their land
  • if the rubbish encourages vermin such as rats, or is a health hazard(please note this does not include risk of injury). 

How to report fly-tipping

To report fly-tipping on council owned or public land, please contact us.

To report fly-tipping on private land, please contact the Shared Regulatory Services.

A to Z Search