Grass cutting regime 2022
Green Spaces are responsible for cutting grass owned by Bridgend County Borough Council. Other organisations such as Community Councils and Housing Associations also cut public grass areas within the borough.
Green Spaces are responsible for cutting grass on:
- central reservations
- highway verges
- parks and playing fields
- playgrounds, but please note that not all playgrounds in the county borough are owned by us
- public open spaces
As councils are in the position of balancing biodiversity with issues such as highway safety requirements, we still have to cut at specific locations in order to maintain driver line of sight or to ensure that footpaths remain accessible. We maintain areas of open space and highways in support of wildflowers and have greatly reduced our annual grass cutting schedules to actively manage our land to promote flowering and ecological diversity wherever possible.
They do not cut grass that is:
- on properties or estates owned by bodies other than us like community councils or housing associations
- privately owned
Grass cutting commences in April and continues until October.
Urban grass is in public open spaces and highway verges. This year it will be cut five times between April and September. Urban grass cutting this year is scheduled to start 4th April 2022. Strimming will be reduced this season.
- first cut starting 4 April 2022
- second cut starting 16 May 2022
- third cut starting 27 June 2022
- fourth cut starting 8 August 2022
- fifth cut starting 19 September 2022
Rural grass is grass located on the sides of main roads and central reservations. It is cut four times a year.
- first cut starting 3 May 2022
- second cut starting 13 June 2022
- third cut starting 25 July 2022
- fourth cut starting 5 September 2022
In both urban grass and rural grass areas naturalised areas are cut twice per season to encourage a greater ecological diversity.
Rural lanes are cut twice a year. The first cut starts in May and the second takes place at the end of August.
Parks and playing fields
Parks and playing fields are generally cut every 10 working days throughout the season.
All grass cutting schedules may change due to weather and ground conditions and roadworks.