Apply for admission to school
We have a statutory duty to, where possible, educate children at the school preferred by their parents or carers.
In the vast majority of cases, parents are happy to choose their catchment school. However it is legally necessary for that school to be selected and named on the ‘Admission to School' form, and returned by the deadline. A place will not automatically be available at a particular school, even if you live in the catchment area.
Bridgend County Borough Council is the admissions authority for community schools. Applications to Welsh-medium schools are made through the same forms as English-medium schools use, and to the same schedules. For voluntary aided schools, the admissions authority is the governing body for the school.
You should apply for your child’s school place online when applications open. Get peace of mind seeing that your application has been received via My Account. It’s quick and easy to do, and an email address is all you need.
Sign up to My Account today or log in to access, complete and submit your application form.
School transfer requests
Secondary school admissions
|Applications open||Monday 18 October 2021 at 10am|
|Deadline date for us to receive completed application forms||Friday 21 January 2022 at 4pm|
|Notification to parents/carers of acceptance/refusal of places||Tuesday 1 March 2022|
|Closing date for parents/carers to submit appeals||Tuesday 29 March 2022 at 4pm|
Infant, junior and primary school admissions
|Application open:||Monday 22 November 2021 at 10am|
|Deadline date for us to receive completed application forms||Friday 11 February 2022 at 4pm|
|Notification to parents/carers of acceptance/refusal of places||Tuesday 19 April 2022|
|Closing date for parents/carers to submit an appeal||Tuesday 17 May 2022 at 4pm|
The timetable for nursery admissions is not governed by the School Admissions Code (2013)
|Applications open||Monday 10 January 2022 at 10am|
|Closing date for receipt of applications by the local authority||Friday 25 March 2022 at 4pm|
|Notification to parents/carers of acceptance/refusal of places||Monday 16 May 2022|
|Applications open:||Monday 1 January 2022 at 10am|
|Closing date for receipt of applications by the local authority:||Friday 27 August 2022 at 4pm|
|Notification to parents/carers of acceptance/refusal of places||By 31 October 2022|
Admissions to voluntary aided schools
The admissions authority for voluntary aided schools is the governing body of the school.
Please contact the following schools directly for the admissions criteria:
- Archdeacon John Lewis Church in Wales Primary School, Bridgend
- St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, Bridgend
- St Mary’s and St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School, Maesteg
- St Robert’s Catholic Primary School, Bridgend
- Archbishop McGrath Catholic High School, Bridgend
In parts of Bridgend county borough, there is pressure on school places. Where applications exceed available places, we will use the over-subscription criteria to allocate places by priority. Consequently, some children may not get a place at their preferred school, and this is more likely if they live outside the school catchment area.
Read our School Admissions Policy 2022-2023 for more about our over-subscription criteria.
Elsewhere on the web
- 2022-2023 Starting School Prospectus v1.0 - PDF 1015Kb
- The school admission appeals code 2013 - PDF 330Kb
- The school admissions code 2013 - PDF 341Kb
- School Admissions Policy 2022-2023 v1.0 - PDF 661Kb
- 2020-2021 School Admissions Policy V2.0 ENGLISH.doc - PDF 207Kb
- 2020 to 2021 Starting School prospectus (English) - PDF 1110Kb
- 2021-2022 Starting School Prospectus - PDF 902Kb
- School Admissions Policy 2021 to 2022 - PDF 684Kb
- Information booklet about Welsh-medium education - PDF 3072Kb
- Foundation Phase Nursery, A Guide for Parents and Carers - PDF 675Kb