Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Housing register

Bridgend County Borough’s four main housing associations use one housing register to allocate social housing. This register is called the Bridgend Common Housing Register.

Anyone can apply for social rented housing. In general, you must be eligible and in housing need to be added to the register. You could also be added if you want to live in a low demand area, or if you meet a Local Lettings Policy’s requirements. The Social Housing Allocation Policy details what counts as housing need on pages eight and nine, and it explains how social rented housing is allocated.

If you don't get added to the common housing register we will give you advice about what other housing options might be available to you. You can also ask us to review our decision.

Apply to be on the housing register

Visit the Housing Jigsaw Portal to create an account. Applying online means you can see your application status easily.

You will be quickly notified of any information you may need to give us. You can update your contact details online too so we know how to reach you when a property comes up.

Also re-registering is easier online. The process is automatic, and it’s easier for applicants to respond to us. Re-registering regularly is important as it ensures you get the right priority for your current housing needs.

For people who can’t use the internet, interviews in person or over the phone are still available.


Bridgend County Borough Council
Telephone: 01656 643643
Text relay: 18001 01656 643643
Address: Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB.

The route to a social home

  1. The Housing Solutions Team receives your application.
  2. They give it to a Housing Solutions Advisor, who will introduce themselves in writing so you know someone is working on your application.
  3. We may ask you for further information. We won't be able to decide your application until all relevant and requested evidence has been provided.
  4. We will notify you in writing when your application has been processed and you have been registered. If successful, your registration will be backdated to the date of your application. We will tell you which band you have been registered under on the common housing register. Alternatively, you may be informed that you are not eligible or not in housing need. We will tell you how you can ask us to review our decision.

Estimate your wait for social housing

You can get an estimate of how long you will wait for social housing via the above link. People are often surprised at how few properties housing associations have available to let, and how long the waiting list is. The terms explain how the calculator works, and you will need to agree to them before using it.

The waiting time calculator can tell you:

  • where the housing association properties are
  • the number of properties allocated in the county borough’s areas
  • the number of people waiting to be housed in an area
  • an estimated waiting time

Unfortunately we cannot offer everyone a home through the housing register. There is a shortage of social housing and we must allocate it according to need.

Other options

There are many other options if you are looking for affordable housing. You could try:

  • buying an affordable home
  • looking in other areas
  • renting in the private sector
  • swapping your home, if you are already a council or housing association tenant

Swap your home

If you are a current council or housing association tenant and you would like to move, you can apply for a transfer or a mutual exchange.

Bridgend County Borough Council uses the national mutual exchange service provided by Homeswapper. You can find out more on the Homeswapper website.

Housing associations in Bridgend County Borough

A to Z Search