Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection


Bridgend County Borough has everything you need to make your special day one to truly remember. 

Unless you are marrying in the Church of England or Church in Wales by banns or common licence, you will both need to give notice to the superintendent registrar at your local register office.

You must both have lived in the registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days before giving notice at the register office.

If you both live within the same district, you will need to give notice at the same office. However, if you live in different registration districts you will have to give notice separately in your own areas.

Book a notice of marriage appointment

A notice of marriage is valid for 12 months. This means that you can’t give notice of marriage more than 12 months before the date of your wedding. You can only give notice of marriage if you have made an appointment.

After giving notice, you must wait at least 28 clear days before the marriage. You must also both have marriage authorisation from the superintendent registrar issued on or before the day of marriage.

Documents you will need to bring

To give notice in Bridgend, you will need:

  • Proof of Nationality
    • If you are a British citizen: Valid British Passport or a full birth certificate (with parent’s details). If you were born after 01 January 1983 and don’t have a passport you will also need to bring your mother’s birth certificate or British Passport.
    • If you are a European citizen: Valid passport and you must provide us with your European Settled Status check code. You can apply for this in advance of the appointment via the UK Government website.
    • If either of you are a foreign national: Please contact us before your appointment. There is very specific and individual evidence you will need to bring to the appointment
  • Proof of address - This must show you live in Bridgend and can be one of the following:
    • Driving Licence with your current address on
    • This year’s council tax statement
    • Bank statement dated within the last month
    • Utility bill dated within the last 3 months
  • If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before we must see evidence of your marital status

If your previous marriage of civil partnership was dissolved or Annulled:

  • you’ll need a Decree Absolute or certificate of dissolution - we cannot look this up for you
  • if your Decree Absolute was issued outside the British Isles there will be an additional fee for this document to be processed and you must bring an English translation
  • Widowed

    • Your previous marriage certificate and spouse’s death certificate

  • If you’ve changed your name 

    • We will need to see your change of name deed

If you don’t have any of these documents please contact the register office before your appointment. We cannot accept digital or photographic evidence.

  • Certificate of No Impediment  
    • If you are getting married outside England and Wales and require a certificate of no impediment you must bring the exact wording required on the document from your ceremony co-ordinator to your appointment, preferably in an email. We cannot accept any responsibility for ensuring the validity or accuracy of the document as every country has different requirements. You can check the legal requirements on the UK Government website.

Your notice will cost £42 per person. Please pay by Debit or Credit card. We are unable to accept contactless payments.

Wedding venues 

The following are venues that have been approved for civil marriages within Bridgend County Borough:


A notice of marriage is only valid for the venue on that notice.

It may be possible to alter the date of your marriage provided it is before the expiry date, but if you change the venue you will need to give notice and pay the fee again.

You will need to check that any marriage carried out in a foreign country will still be recognised in the UK. Contact Bridgend Register Office for more details.

There may be a variable fee for getting married in a religious building such as a church. Ask the minister of the building you choose to get married in for more details.

If you get married in a church that is Church in Wales or Church of England you will not usually have to involve the register office. Check with the minister at the church to see if this is the case.

If you are changing your name or address, remember to contact not just your family and friends, but your local council, water, gas and electricity firms, banks, the passport office, DVLA, doctors, dentists, financial firms that you have any business with, catalogue companies, national insurance and so on.


Bridgend Register Office
Telephone: 01656 642391
Address: Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB.
Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4pm

A to Z Search