Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Solve a local problem with a councillor

Issues councillors help with

Councillors are partly elected to solve citizens’ problems. They:

  • help residents with concerns or queries
  • champion constituents’ needs
  • decide council policy, as a group

For example, they might help to solve a housing problem or arrange a new street sign.

Know which councillor to contact

Your ward’s councillor will deal with your queries. Use our ‘Find a Councillor’ search bar to see who your councillor is, or phone our Member Services section on 01656 643375.

Find a councillor’s contact details

Councillors can be contacted by phone, letter, e-mail or in person, and you can find a councillor’s contact details here. Some councillors hold ‘drop-in’ surgeries which usually take place in community buildings.

You can call councillors at home, even on weekends

Councillors know that they can be contacted throughout the week and at home. As they are very busy, please be aware that they may sometimes be temporarily unavailable.

The process of getting help from a councillor

  1. Councillors will refer your query to the relevant department.
  2. The department will then investigate, and respond to the councillor.
  3. We aim to initially investigate and respond to all queries within ten working days from receipt. Yet, this depends on the type of problem, and the resources available.

Confidential help

Councillors must keep matters confidential. While they will have to liaise with council officers to solve most queries, our employees are also bound by a confidentiality clause.

A to Z Search