Local Bus companies announce changes to bus services
Posted on: Friday 04 August 2023
Bus operators across Wales will be announcing registered alterations to some of the services that they offer, largely due to changes in the support offered by Welsh Government.
Welsh government ended its ‘Bus Emergency Scheme’ fund in July, which has been followed by the ‘Bus Transition Fund’, commencing from July to 31 March 2024. The transition fund is there to ensure that the majority of the current bus provision will be supported, so that vital services can continue across the network.
Most of the bus services operating within the county borough will remain unchanged. However, the bus services listed below have either been registered to change or be cancelled:
- Service No. 70 (Bridgend to Cymmer via Garth and Maesteg) – reduced to every hour, Monday to Saturday, from 24.07.2023.
- Service No. 71 (Bridgend to Cymmer via Llwydarth and Maesteg) – change in operating times from 24.07.2023.
- Service No. 172 (Aberdare to Bridgend) – no longer travelling to Porthcawl from 30.07.2023, Monday to Saturday.
- Service No. 404 (Pontypridd to Bridgend) – no longer travelling to Porthcawl from 24.07.2023, Monday to Saturday.
- Service No. 265 (Cefn Cribbwr to Porthcawl Comprehensive School, school days and times) – this has been cancelled, with the last day of operation on 21.07.2023.
Stagecoach, one of the local bus service providers in the county borough, said: "Most services will have changes to times to improve the reliability of the services, although some services may change to reflect different travel patterns following the pandemic and customer demand."
Bridgend County Borough Council will be working with bus operators to promote bus travel - making it a sustainable and viable public transport system in the county borough from April 2024.
We will also continue to work collaboratively with Welsh Government to develop a longer-term, sustainable funding model that bridges the gap to franchising.Councillor Spanswick, Cabinet Member for the Environment and Climate Change