Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Register to vote

The deadline for voter registration during an election is 12 working days before polling day.

Young people aged 14 and 15 are now able to register to vote and 16 and 17 year olds as well as qualifying foreign citizens can now vote in local council elections.

Young people can find out everything they need to know about registering and voting on the Electoral Commission website. 

Details needed to register to vote

For voter registration or to change your details, you will need your:

  • name and address
  • national insurance number
  • date of birth

If your application is successful, the election office will send a confirmation letter. However, if your details do not match with those held by the Department of Work and Pensions, your application may be rejected. We may contact you in writing to ask for more information.

Other electors

If you are a UK citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter if:

  • you have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years
  • when leaving the UK you were too young to register, and your parents/guardians were registered, as long as you left fewer than 15 years ago

Registration as an overseas voter will only last for twelve months. Applications must be made annually, and you can choose your method of voting depending on your personal circumstances. Overseas voters can only vote in the UK Parliamentary elections.

Armed forces members and their spouses or civil partners can register either as a service voter, or as an ordinary voter.
The way you choose to register is up to you and will depend on your personal circumstances. See more information for armed forces personnel.

You can register as a crown servant or British Council employee if you are not a member of the armed forces but you are:

  • employed by the Crown or British Council in a post outside the UK
  • a spouse living abroad with a Crown or British Council employee

This type of declaration must be renewed annually.
Register as a crown servant or British Council employee.

You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address because you are:

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • homeless
  • a person remanded in custody

To do so, fill in an electoral registration form for someone with no fixed or permanent address.

You can register to vote anonymously for safety reasons. For instance, you may be escaping violence, or have a job that puts you at risk from other people.
If you register anonymously, a code will be added to the electoral register instead of your name and address.
To register for anonymous voting, you must support your application with documentary evidence of a court order or an attestation from an authorised person.
Download a registration form for anonymous voting.


Differences between the electoral and open register

The electoral register ensures only eligible people can vote. It lists the names and addresses of all voters. Also, it can be used for authorised reasons such as detecting crimes like fraud, recruiting jurors, and checking credit applications.

The open or edited register is an extract of the electoral register. It is not used for elections, but can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, businesses use it to confirm names and addresses. Your name and address will be included unless you ask for their removal. Removing your details does not stop you from voting.

Join or leave the open register

You can change your preferences at any time. To do so, please complete the Open Register Form, and send it to

Address for postal vote application forms

If you are applying to vote by post with a paper version of the form, send it to the below address.


Electoral Registration Officer

Bridgend County Borough Council
Address: Electoral Services, Chief Executive’s Directorate, Civic Offices, Angel Street, CF31 4WB.

Check if you’re registered to vote

If you’re unsure whether you’re registered, please contact us. Note that adding your name to the household enquiry form won’t register you for voting. Also if you’ve registered online, check your email inbox and junk folder in case we’ve asked you for further evidence.


The Electoral Office

Bridgend County Borough Council
Telephone: 01656 643116

A to Z Search