Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Sex establishment licence

Apply online

Sex establishments are sex shops, sex cinemas and sexual entertainment venues. They include lap dancing, strip shows and table dancing activities amongst others.

An applicant must:

  • be at least 18
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • have been a UK resident at least six months directly before applying or, if a body corporate, must be formed in the UK
  • not have been refused a licence or its renewal for the premises in the last 12 months, unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal

Fees apply and conditions may be attached.

Applications must give:

  • information that the local authority needs
  • the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age
  • the premises’ address

Applicants must give public notice of their application by an advert in a local newspaper.

It is in the public interest that authorities process applications before granting them. If you have not heard from the relevant authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes Service, or our contact details are below.

T: 01656 643643

Licensing Section
Bridgend County Borough Council
Civic Offices
Angel Street
CF31 4WB

In the first instance, please us using the details below.

Any applicant who is refused a licence or its renewal, may appeal to the local magistrates' court, within 21 days of being notified.

However, the right to appeal does not apply where the licence was refused because:

  • the number of an area’s sex establishments exceeds the number which the authority deems appropriate
  • granting a licence would be inappropriate considering the area’s character, the nature of its other premises, or the premises themselves

In the first instance, please contact us on the below details.


Bridgend County Borough Council
Licensing Section
Civic Offices
Angel Street
CF31 4WB

A licensee wishing to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

When complaining, make the first contact with the trader yourself, and preferably by letter with proof of delivery. If that does not work and you are in the UK, Citizens’ Advice Consumer Helpline can help. Outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

At any time, licensees can apply to the authority for a variation of their licence’s terms, conditions or restrictions.

If a licence is revoked or an application for a variation refused, the licensee can appeal to the local magistrates' court. This must occur within 21 days of the notification.

A licensee may also appeal to the crown court against a magistrates' court’s decision.


Anyone challenging a licence’s grant, renewal or transfer may give written notice of their objection to the relevant authority. It must describe the objection, within 28 days of the application.

A to Z Search