Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

The Educational Psychology Service

Educational psychologists work with vulnerable children and young people with additional learning needs between 0 and 19 years. This will extend from 0 to 25 under the Additional Learning Needs (ALN) Reform in 2020. The service supports their academic inclusion, progress, development, wellbeing, learning and achievement. They:

  • apply a range of psychological skills
  • can work across fields
  • offer equal access to everyone

The team find the best way to assist children from several approaches. They work with individuals, groups, schools and wider systems like local authorities and the community, at all academic levels. Further, the service is skilled at evidence-based interventions, and organisational change. They collaborate to create change for the best outcomes.

Their contact with parents, carers and families ensures a holistic understanding of a young person. Being person-centred, they take care to listen to and promote the ‘voice of the child’.

How to access the Educational Psychology Service:

There are three ways to access the service:

  1. If you are a parent/guardian, you will need to talk to the school’s Additional Learning Needs Coordinator (ALNCo). Then, the ALNCo may make a referral.
  2. If you are an agency or other department, you can refer by letter. State the background, and why you want a consultation.
  3. If you are a school, educational psychologists will visit an agreed minimum number of times. Before the visit, the school should complete a consultation request and consent form. The visit’s agenda is set in advance.

The address to write to is:


Educational Psychology Service

Bridgend County Borough Council
Address: Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB.

The groups of children worked with

Educational psychologists work with young people who may:

  • have an autism spectrum condition
  • have learning difficulties
  • have language needs
  • have social and emotional needs
  • have challenging behaviour
  • have a medical diagnosis such as cerebral palsy, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
  • be looked after children or young people (LAC)
  • be students who have English as an extra language
  • be children previously involved in youth support or youth justice

Also, educational psychologists support children who are not progressing for unknown reasons.

The professionals worked with

Educational psychologists collaborate with people who work with children like:

  • school staff
  • ALNCos
  • school based counsellors
  • safeguarding teams
  • health professionals
  • mental health professionals
  • social workers
  • youth workers
  • staff in further education settings
  • staff in early years settings

Educational psychologists can problem solve and consult with teachers and headteachers, as well as ALNCos and give advice on specific pupils.

The service’s place in the council

The Educational Psychology Service is part of the Education and Family Support Directorate.


A to Z Search