Browse courses by subject
Online Learning Opportunities
Adult Community Learning Bridgend are offering online courses to the public. The courses will be run online.
Free IT support is available prior to the course start for those who require help in accessing online learning. Some sessions may be held in a classroom if Covid-19 restrictions change.
To register for a course contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and an enrolment form. When enrolling, please state clearly in your email the course, day and time that you are interested in.
No iPad? No problem!
If you would like to access one of our online courses but don’t have a suitable device or Wifi connection, then please get in touch with us, as we may be able to support you with this.
We have a range of portable devices, mobile top-ups and portable Wifi connections that can be loaned out when needed. Don’t let a lack of resources get in the way of your progress!
“Knowledge is power, I am now better equipped to deal with the digital world thanks to my learning” – Joanna Atkinson, learner on Digital Learning course with Bridgend Adult Community Learning
There are no formal entry requirements for accessing an Adult Community Learning course. Bridgend Adult Community Learning will not restrict access on the grounds of prior academic attainment, age, employment, geographic location or any other grounds.
Please note that accreditation is a requirement of the courses and by enrolling on a course learners are agreeing to complete the paperwork involved.
New courses starting September 2021
To enrol: Please E-mail us at: email@example.com
For further information on any of the courses please click on the course headings below.
|Developing Personal Confidence||29/09||Wed||10:00-12:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Introduction to Web Design||27/09||Mon||19:00-21:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Introduction to Web Design||29/09||Wed||19:00-21:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Italian for Beginners||29/09||Wed||19:00-21:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Italian for Beginners||30/09||Thu||10:00-12:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Introduction to becoming a teaching assistant||29/09||Wed||19:00-21:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Introduction to becoming a teaching assistant - Part 2||29/09||Wed||10:00-12:00||11||£10||£5||Online|
|Improving Your Spelling||27/09||Mon||13:00-15:00||11||Free||Free||Blended|
|Improving Your Spelling||30/09||Thu||13:00-15:00||11||Free||Free||Blended|
|Improving Your Writing||28/09||Tue||13:00-15:00||11||Free||Free||Blended|
|Improving Your Writing||30/09||Thu||10:00-12:00||11||Free||Free||Blended|
|Word for beginners||28/09||Tue & Thu||10:30-11:30||11||Free||Free||Online|
|Word for beginners||29/09||Wed||19:00-21:00||11||Free||Free||Online|
|Mastering your computer – Part 1||27/09||Mon & Wed||11:00-12:00||11||Free||Free||Online|
|27/09||Mon & Wed||9:30-10:30||11||Free||Free||Online|
|Introduction to emotional freedom technique||30/09||Thu||19:00-21:00||11||Free||Free||Online|
Free online Learndirect courses
Learndirect offers great flexibility. These free online courses let you study at your own pace, as they’re learner led and split into bitesize chunks.
To register or for further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Almost all jobs now require an understanding, ranging from basic to advanced, of computer software, word processing, e-mail, spreadsheets, and Internet navigation.
In the comfort of your own home and at a time to suit your individual needs, you can gain the necessary skills required in the use of the Microsoft Office suite.
Need to brush up on your English and maths? You can choose from a large number of free learndirect English & maths courses. You can learn at your own pace to suit your own lifestyle.
In today’s competitive and project-oriented work environment, strong business communication skills are essential for both individual and organisational success. This communicating to influence course strengthens the ability of delegates to pitch influential content face-to-face or virtually. This can determine how they are perceived, trusted and able to command a positive influence, whether presenting one-to-one or to an audience. Delegates are equipped with the communication skills necessary to analyse how people communicate, both verbally and through body language, and how to use their own body language to communicate their message effectively. Delegates can also identify the thinking patterns of individuals to frame an idea and communicate it in ways that best suit their audience. Successful completion of this course helps communication that appeals to individual and group values and helps develop the ability to deliver a meaningful message that has maximum impact and influence. These skills help ensure that you engage and retain your audience and allows you to build the bridge between your content and them.
- Learn how to build rapport and trust with stakeholders
- Learn how to analyse how people prefer to think and communicate
- Learn how to understand and read other people’s body language
- Learn how to use your body language to communicate your message
- Identify and use the thinking patterns of individuals to frame an idea and communicate
- Interpret and control body language to augment communication
- Identify an individual’s false realities and challenge positively
- Understand the conditions for trust and use trust principles to build trust with individuals
- Analyse an individual’s values and priorities including: openness, security, creativity, listening
- Use communication techniques and content to appeal to an individual’s values
How do you guard against handling money that’s the proceeds of crime? Training everyone to be aware of the Proceeds of Crime Act and Money Laundering Regulations so they can conduct appropriate levels of due diligence is essential. Case study examples illustrate the key points of the law and help learners to apply the principles to their situations.
Key Learning Points:
- Meaning of Proceeds of Crime Act
- Meaning of Money Laundering Regulations
- How to identify Money Laundering
- Know Your Customer
- Offences under the Act and Regulations
- How to carry out due diligence
- Describe the offences under the Proceeds of Crime Act, Terrorism Act and Money Laundering Regulations
- Recognise the risks of money laundering in business
- Recognise when enhanced due diligence is necessary
- Know how to report suspicious activity
In this course you will learn how and when to use a CV, match sample CV’s to basic job descriptions and identify relevant information to be included in a CV. During the course you will learn how to produce your own CV.
Excel is an electronic spreadsheet capable of organising, analysing and presenting data. The basic concept is the same as using a paper spreadsheet with a built-in calculator. The advanced features of Excel allow you to manipulate the data easily and then to graphically present it in a number of attractive formats. The "Excel 2016 Introduction and Basics" course will show you how to open workbooks as well as navigate directly to cells and between worksheets. You will also use the viewing tools for worksheets. Together with our other Excel 2016 courses, this course also supports the background learning for the Microsoft Office Specialist 77-420 exam.
There are 6 modules in this course
- Starting Excel and Help
- Screen Components
- Navigating Workbooks
- Viewing Tools and Excel Options
- Creating Workbooks
- Opening, Saving and Closing
- Simulation training replicates the software you are learning providing a realistic learning experience.
- Learn how to perform tasks at your own pace and interactively by following easy step-by-step actions.
- Reinforce your knowledge at the end of each lesson by completing interactive and multiple choice quiz questions.
- Assess your skills at any time by undertaking the Course Test.
- Lessons can be completed within 30 minutes so training can be undertaken in bite size pieces.
- Bookmarking allows you to learn in multiple training sessions.
- Course navigation features allow you to jump directly to specific topics of interest quickly and easily.
- Designed for people who require initial and refresher training activities.
- Available on-line 24 hours a day.
- Version for Mobile Devices.
- Review course content with eBooks
Starting Excel and Help
- Identify the Function of Excel;
- Start Excel;
- Use Online Help;
- Use Help Tools;
- Search Online Help;
- Close Excel;
- Understand Screen Components;
- Open Backstage View;
- Identify Ribbon Commands;
- Hide and Display the Ribbon;
- Use the Quick Access Toolbar;
- Show Context Sensitive Tools;
- Identify Worksheet Components;
- Use the Formula Bar;
- Recognise Mouse Cursor Shapes;
- Navigate with Scroll Bars;
- Use Keyboard Shortcuts;
- Use the Go To Command;
- Navigate using the Name Box;
- Work with Sheet Tabs;
- Use Tab Scrolling Buttons;
Viewing Tools and Excel Options
- Use the Zoom Feature;
- Split Windows;
- Freeze Panes;
- Unfreeze Panes;
- Customise Excel Settings;
- Use General Options;
- Use Save Options;
- Use Proofing Options;
- Use Advanced Options;
Creating, Opening and Saving
- Create New Workbooks;
- Enter Values;
- Enter Labels;
- Enter Dates;
- Enter Data into a Range;
- Replace Cell Content;
- Add Additional Cell Content;
- Remove Cell Content;
Opening, Saving and Closing
- Open Excel Workbooks;
- Open Recent Workbooks;
- Open Workbooks with Search;
- Move Between Workbooks;
- Save Workbooks;
- Use Save As;
- Close Workbooks;
- Quit Excel;
If you witnessed someone injure themselves at work, would you know how to help? If the answer is ‘no’ then you’re in the right place. First Aid is a bite size training course that covers everything you need to know about workplace accidents and first aid, from responding to an incident to keeping health and safety records. Whether someone has a minor burn or has a more serious injury, you’ll know how to respond to the situation and call for assistance, whilst keeping the person’s health and comfort in mind.
Who is this course for?
First Aid is designed for anyone without first aid training that wants to know what to do if someone suffers an injury or falls ill within their workplace. Although the course is focused on workplace first aid, it also provides excellent practical benefits in other situations and environments.
What will you get from this course?
Upon course completion, you will have a greater awareness of workplace safety. You will have the ability to appropriately respond to accidents at work depending on your training ability, record incidences and explain the importance of health and safety to others.
When you have completed this course, you will be able to:
- Accept your limitations and know who to contact for first aid assistance
- Keep victims safe and comfortable until professional help arrives
- Locate your workplace first aid box or room
- Effectively report incidences in your workplace and understand the responsibilities of this
- Understand the importance of reporting accidents and health and safety
- Content approved by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
- Audio-led content for an engaging study programme
- Bite size information allows you to grips with workplace first aid quickly and easily
- Real-life examples to show you how to apply your learning in the real world
- Downloadable eBook on workplace health and safety
The course MS Word 2016: Advanced focuses on the tools used mainly for editing longer documents or for automating the work in the program. You will learn to split documents into sections, especially in order to insert various headers and footers into different pages. You will also insert a title page and set a watermark. You will learn to create a table of contents based on the document headings, to number inserted pictures and other objects and to create also their automatic list. You will further learn to use fields, hyperlinks and cross-references, footnotes and endnotes. You will also familiarise yourself with the tools used when multiple users work with the same document, such as making notes, tracking performed changes or creating subdocuments.
By the end of this unit, you will:
Understand the term ‘stress’
Understand possible causes of stress
Understand how stress can affect an individual
Understand how the demands of daily life can contribute to stress
Understand how stress may be managed
Understand the terms 'anxiety' and 'panic attack'
Understand possible causes of anxiety
Understand how anxiety can affect the individual and others
Understand how different ways of thinking and behaving can affect anxiety
Understand how anxiety may be managed
Understand the term 'phobias'
Understand the possible causes of phobias
Understand how a phobia can affect the individual and others
Understand how phobias may be managed.
The course is designed to help understand how to be effective in your care to ensure that sepsis does not go unnoticed, and that clients are treated efficiently and well.
- To understand what are the early warning signs of sepsis in a client.
- To understand who is most at risk of sepsis and how to reduce this risk.
- To understand the steps to take once sepsis is suspected.
To understand how to care for someone once treated for sepsis.