Love food hate waste
Love Food Hate Waste is all about making the best of the food you've bought. The campaign website has a wealth of advice including:
- storage tips to keep food fresher for longer
- recipe ideas
- a handy portion guide to help ensure you only cook the food you need
Food waste in Wales
Welsh shoppers throw away a staggering 400,000 tonnes of food and drink waste each year. This is roughly a third of all of the food we buy. Wasting food hits our pockets too, and around £600 million is wasted on food that could have been eaten in Wales every year. That’s about £700 per household per year!
Five tips to make the most of food
- Plan meals and make shopping lists so you only buy what you need.
- Freeze any food that won’t get eaten immediately so you can use it later on.
- Set fridge temperatures between one and five degrees to get the best from your food.
- While you shouldn’t eat food past its ‘use by’ date, you are safe to eat food past its ‘best before’ date. It just might not be quite at its best.
- Use leftovers to make tasty new meals.
No matter how inventive you are with making the most of your food, there’s always going to be some unavoidable waste. See what you can put in your brown caddy here.