Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

The documents needed to claim benefits

2. Basic documents to provide

You must provide documentary proof for yourself, and, if you have one, your partner of:

  • national insurance numbers
  • identities
  • rent
  • income and capital, including that of household members

If you do not provide proof, your claim cannot be processed.

Documents needed to prove your identity

As you will see from the below list, you must provide specific information to prove your identity. At least two items of evidence must be provided. At least one must be from the primary evidence list, and one should include confirmation of your national insurance number.

  • passports, which must be current and valid
  • Home Office Standard Acknowledgement Letters (SAL 1 or 2)
    driving licenses
  • birth, marriage, or death certificates
  • adoption certificates
  • divorce or annulment papers
  • national ID cards
  • NINO cards with a national insurance number
  • national insurance contributions forms
  • medical cards with an NHS number
  • armed forces employment certificates
  • change of name documents
  • state benefit notification letters
  • sub-contractors certificates
  • P45 forms
  • E111 forms
  • pay slips
  • tenancy agreements, rent books or rent cards
  • utility bills such as those for gas, electricity and water
  • fixed telephone bills
  • railcards, travel cards and bus passes
  • season tickets
  • bank or building society debit or credit cards
  • store charge cards
  • bank or building society statements/passbooks
  • shares certificates
  • life insurance policies
  • trade union membership cards

A to Z Search