Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Self-isolation Support Scheme

The self-isolation support scheme is for those on a low income, who cannot work from home and must self-isolate because they have tested positive for COVID-19. It is also for parents and carers on low incomes with children who have tested positive and are self-isolating.

Self-isolation payments are taxable but should not affect any benefits you get. If you are employed, you will pay tax on the payment if you go over your tax-free personal allowance. Your tax code will change to collect the tax. You will not pay National Insurance contributions on the payment. If you’re self-employed you must report the payment on your Self-Assessment tax return.

You may be entitled to financial support:

  • if you have been contacted by NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect service (TTP) and been told to self-isolate because you have tested positive for COVID-19; or
  • you are a parent or carer of a child who has been told to self-isolate by NHS Wales TTP because they have tested positive; or
  • you have tested positive using a lateral flow device and have registered the result within 24 hours.

You must register your positive lateral flow device test result within 24 hours of receiving the result. If you do not do this, you will not be eligible for the payment and your application will be rejected. Find out more information here about registering your positive test result.

Please note that from 28 March 2022, close contacts, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated, are no longer eligible for the scheme.

Self-Isolation Support Payment

If you meet all of the eligibility criteria, you are entitled to an Isolation Payment of £500 

  • you, or your child has been told to self-isolate by NHS Wales TTP because of testing positive for COVID-19
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result
  • you or your partner are currently receiving at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

Discretionary Payment

You may be eligible for a £500 Discretionary Payment (depending on when your self-isolation period starts) if you meet all of the other eligibility criteria above, but:

  • you or your partner do not currently receive Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit; and
  • you will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating

Eligibility for parents and carers

A parent or carer can apply for a payment if their child has been formally told to self-isolate. To get the payment, the child must:

  • attend school, further education or childcare (up to and including Year 11 or up to age 25 if they have complex needs); and
  • have been formally told to self-isolate by NHS Wales TTP service because of testing positive. 

Parents or carers must also meet the criteria of the main scheme, or the application is accepted under the discretionary scheme.

Applying for the payment

This application is for one person only and any further applications within the same household must be made by each individual.

Please ensure that you have the information below available before starting your application

  • your National Insurance number
  • confirmation of the date given by NHS Wales TTP
  • your most recent bank statement, wage slip or proof of self-employment

After you apply

Your details will be checked against the NHS Wales TTP register. This is to check that you have been formally told to self-isolate.

If you are not listed, your application will be refused and not approved.

Applications made after the self-isolation period has ended

You can make a claim up to 21 days after your isolation period has ended. For example, if you were told to self-isolate on  until 10 April, you will have until 1 May to make a claim.

Please note that we cannot accept applications after this time limit has expired.

If you need to self-isolate more than once

The maximum number of payments to any individual under the scheme is three. In addition, 3 payments can be made to parents or carers in respect of children self-isolating provided the eligibility criteria is met.

You must meet the eligibility criteria for each individual claim and your periods of self-isolation must not overlap.

Apply online

A to Z Search