Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Energy Bills Support Schemes from HM Government

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS -AF)

HM Government are providing support for energy bills to eligible households not automatically receiving the £400 payment paid by the energy suppliers.

To be eligible for EBSS – AF applicants must meet the following criteria on the date of their application:

  • The dwelling is the sole or main address of the applicant
  • The household is responsible for paying for energy used in the dwelling as part of a service charge, rent or other agreement.
  • The household is not eligible for or already receiving EBSS payments.
  • The household is not a business premises or other form of non-domestic premises.


Provided the household can provide sufficient proof of address and are not otherwise ineligible, households eligible for EBSS Alternative Funding include:

  • park home residents
  • housing association, social and private tenants, and leaseholders, supplied via a landlord with a commercial meter
  • partly and wholly self-funded care home residents (where they make any contribution to their costs, as opposed to NHS funded residents)
  • households in house boats on residential moorings
  • households on a private electricity network, for example those supplied by a heat network
  • off-grid households
  • traveller households on authorised sites
  • households in non-permanent /supported accommodation

Alternative Fuel Payment Alternative Fund (AFP AF)

HM Government are also providing a £200 grant payment to UK households that use alternative fuels for heating instead of mains gas. This includes households that use heating oil, LPG, coal or biomass. Most customers will not need to take any action in order to receive the £200 AFP, as it will be automatically provided by their electricity supplier. However, a minority of alternative fuel users will not receive the £200 payment automatically.

Please note that the applications for both schemes must be made online at GOV.UK from Monday 27th February 2023 up to 23:59pm on 31st May 2023 when the scheme will close. You can find further information and how to apply by searching for “Applying for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically” on the GOV.UK webpage or any online search engine.

For applicants who are not able to make an online application you can call the freephone telephone number 0808 175 3287 for assistance. The contact centre is open Monday to Friday, 08.00 to 18.00.


You can NOT make an application via the council.

A to Z Search