Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

How you can help the Afghan Refugee Scheme

Bridgend County Borough Council is continuing to work with the Bridgend Association of Voluntary Organisations (BAVO) to determine how best volunteers can help support the Afghan refugee scheme.

As part of Bridgend County Borough Council’s commitment to the national Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy, up to three families will be provided with safe homes and support.

Designed to provide safe, secure accommodation for interpreters and other personnel who have worked with the UK in Afghanistan, the programme recognises the service of those who have supported the British Forces, and reflects both their work and the risks they now face following recent events within the country

We have been really moved by the overwhelmingly positive response from residents in the county borough that have asked how they can help and support those being resettled.

While we await further details on just how the wider relocation scheme will work, we are working with the voluntary sector and others on how best to provide support. We ask all those who are keen to help in some way to visit the BAVO website which has further details on what may be required.

Council leader Huw David

BAVO’s chief executive Heidi Bennett said: “Along with Bridgend County Borough Council, we have already been receiving enquiries from charities who want to help and people who want to volunteer or donate.  

“This is so heartwarming, we are very grateful for the kind offers and it shows just how welcoming people are in our county borough.

“BCBC is initially expecting just two or three families so as the situation unfolds we will be in a better position to identify exactly what the needs will be, exactly how many families might be relocated to the area and when.

“Because the number of people may be relatively smallthere is currently no requirement for items to be donated and we are not asking for any donations at this stage.

“However, if any landlords, businesses, voluntary and community groups and individuals may be able to help in the future with the below areas, then we ask them to email us on”

Housing might be needed, such as:

A vacant residential property.   The house or flat must be self-contained with no shared facilities, and available for a period of at least 12 months

Settling in support might be needed, such as:

  • Befriending or companionship
  • Conversational English
  • Showing people around the area
  • Transportation and errand running

Specialist services might be needed, such as

  • English to speakers of other languages (ESOL)
  • Legal services
  • Mental health services
  • Physical health and wellbeing (such as physiotherapy)
  • Tutoring and mentoring (such as paired reading)

For general enquiries, please contact Bridgend County Borough Council's customer contact centre:

Telephone: 01656 643643
Opening hours:

Our offices are temporarily closed to the public.

A to Z Search