Accessibility links

Listen with Browsealoud
Language selection

Preparing for Brexit

EU Settlement Scheme video transcript

If you’re an EU citizen living in Bridgend County Borough, we want you to be able to continue to live, work and access services here.

Brexit means that EU citizens and their families will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.

If successful, you will be granted ‘Settled’ or ‘Pre-Settled’ status depending on how long you have lived here. It’s free to apply to the scheme.


Unless you have the immigration status of ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’ or you are an Irish or British Citizen, you will need to apply.

This includes children who were born in Wales, but who do not have British Citizenship. A British passport should confirm this.

If you need to apply, you won’t be notified by the Home Office, UK / Welsh Government or the local council. You have to check this yourself.

Check if you need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you need to apply, each family member must complete an application. This includes children and anyone under the age of 21.

Advice and support

If you are unsure if you or a family member needs to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme you can access free advice and support.

Find organisations that can help you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

You can also find guidance on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme in different languages.

Apply online

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.


To help EU citizens complete applications for settled or pre-settled status, the Government has developed an app which you can use to scan your ID using a phone, tablet or other device.

You can check to see if your phone or device is compatible with the app here – if it is not compatible, Bridgend County Borough Council is offering a ‘chip and check’ ID scanning service which is available at the following premises:

Bridgend Register Office

Civic Offices,

Angel Street,


CF31 4WB

The service is free of charge to residents of Bridgend County Borough, and costs £14 for non-residents.

You can arrange an appointment by calling 01656 642391 or emailing

Please note that this is a scanning-only service – it does not guarantee the success of an application, and does not offer further advice on your application or status.

A to Z Search