Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us


Some dwellings are exempt from council tax. If the council has classified your dwelling as exempt then your bill will show a code giving the reason and the period of exemption. The classes of exemption are:

  • Unoccupied dwelling requiring or undergoing structural alteration or where such work has been completed for less than 6 months (maximum exemption 1 year)
  • Unoccupied dwellings owned by a charity (maximum exemption 6 months)
  • Dwelling left empty and unfurnished (maximum exemption 6 months)
  • Dwelling left empty by a person who has gone into prison
  • Dwelling left empty by a person who has moved to receive personal care in hospital or home
  • Dwelling left empty by a deceased person where less than 6 months have elapsed since the grant of probate or letters of administration
  • Empty dwelling where occupation is prohibited by law
  • Empty dwelling, which is awaiting occupation by a minister of religion
  • Dwelling left empty by a person who has moved elsewhere (not covered by class E) to receive personal care
  • Dwelling left empty by a person who has moved elsewhere to provide personal care to another person
  • Dwelling left empty by a student
  • Unoccupied dwelling where the mortgage lender is in possession
  • Halls of residence
  • Dwelling occupied wholly by students or by a student and their non-student spouse, who is not a British citizen and prevented from taking employment or claiming benefits.
  • Forces barracks and married quarters
  • Dwelling occupied by visiting forces
  • Unoccupied dwelling that is the responsibility of bankrupt's trustee
  • A pitch or mooring not occupied by a caravan or boat
  • Dwellings occupied wholly by persons aged under eighteen
  • Unoccupied dwellings forming part of another dwelling which are difficult to let separately (granny annexe)
  • Dwellings occupied wholly by a person or persons who are severely mentally impaired.
  • Certain dwellings occupied by diplomats
  • Occupied annexes

You must inform us of any changes in circumstances that may affect your entitlement to an exemption. If you think you may qualify for an exemption please email the council tax office at or phone (01656) 643391 for more information.

Last Updated: 18/05/2016
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud