Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

School Transfers

(In-Year School Transfer Requests)

There are number of reasons why parents/carers may wish to move a child from one school to another.

A fresh start at a new school at the beginning of the school year would be the choice of most parents/carers and children, therefore, every consideration should be given to avoiding a change of schools during the school year. However, circumstances do not always make this possible and a move during the school year may be unavoidable, for example, in the case of a house move.

If the transfer request is not in relation to a house move, parents/carers are strongly advised to talk to their child’s teacher or head teacher. They may be able to help, as many issues that worry children and their parents/carers can often be satisfactorily addressed without the need for the child to move schools.

A change of school can be a very significant event for a child. This is especially so for secondary school children, in particular when they reach Year 10 or 11 and have already chosen and are studying their selected exam subjects. The choices of subjects, or exam boards, may be different in a new school, even if this school is still within the Bridgend County Borough.

There should, therefore, be very careful consideration of all the circumstances before making any decision to change schools.

Bridgend County Borough Council deals with admissions in-year transfers for all schools in the borough with the exception of the five voluntary aided schools. If you wish to transfer your child to a voluntary aided school, please see the separate arrangements detailed below. In all other instances, parents/carers wishing to pursue a school transfer for their child should complete the In-Year Transfer application form available here. Guidance notes are available here.

For the protection of your personal information, we do not recommend that completed forms are emailed to Bridgend County Borough Council.  

Completed forms may be posted to:

Learner Support, Education and Family Support Directorate, Bridgend County Borough Council, Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend  CF31 4WB

Should you require further information or advice on admissions and transfers, please contact:

Tel: 01656 642637

Please be advised that parents/carers should not remove a child from a school until an admission to an alternative school has been confirmed by Bridgend County Borough Council.  

 Separate Arrangements for Voluntary Aided Schools

The governing body of a voluntary aided school is the admission authority and has the responsibility for all admission arrangements. 

The five voluntary aided schools within Bridgend are:

            St Mary’s Primary Catholic School, Bridgend

            St Mary’s & St Patrick’s Primary Catholic School, Maesteg

            St Robert’s Primary Catholic School, Aberkenfig

            Archbishop McGrath Catholic High School, Bridgend

            Archdeacon John Lewis Church in Wales Primary School, Bridgend

Parents/carers who wish to seek admission to these schools should contact the relevant school directly for further information. Contact details for all schools are available here.


Last Updated: 26/01/2018
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud