Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Pest Control - Cockroaches

Oriental Cockroach

German Cockroach

Oriental Cockroach (Blatta orientalis)

German Cockroach (Blattella germanica)

What do the look like?

Cockroaches vary in size from 10mm to 25mm. They have long whip-like antennae and two pairs of wings. There are only two species of cockroaches that are widely distributed in Britain, the Oriental Cockroach and the German Cockroach. Of the two species, the Oriental is more common.

The Oriental Cockroach adult can grow to 24mm, they are shiny and dark brown to black in colour. These cockroaches can climb rough vertical surfaces. The German Cockroach adult is between 10-15mm long and is yellowish brown in colour. These cockroaches can climb smooth vertical surfaces.

Where do they live?

Cockroaches will live anywhere that supplies them with food, water and warmth. Cockroaches can be found indoors, particularly in kitchens and outdoors in drains and sewers and around refuse storage areas.

These insects are nocturnal and spend daytime hiding in cracks and under objects that are rarely moved. Their presence is usually detected by faecal marks (small dark stains) and a characteristic smell.

What do they eat?

Cockroaches will feed on almost anything, including any food intended for human consumption and faecal matter.

Pest Status

Cockroaches carry food-poisoning bacteria on their bodies and as such, when they come into contact with food, they spread the bacteria that cause food poisoning. They can also taint food with the characteristic smell of the cockroach.


There are 3 steps to follow when attempting to control cockroaches.

  • Improve Hygiene Standards

    • Clean walls and floors particularly at the floor to wall junctions and in corners and keep them clear of food debris

    • Keep cupboards and storerooms clean.
  • Proof the property

    • Fill in any gaps and cracks that may provide a daytime home for cockroaches

    • Fill in any gaps and cracks where pipes enter the house

    • Fill in any holes around overflows, sink waste pipes etc

    • Seal window and door frames with mastic
  • Carryout suitable treatment

The Council offers a free treatment for cockroach infestations at domestic properties.  For further advice or to report an infestation please contact us on (01656) 643643 or

If you want to employ a private company to treat the problem for you, you should try to ensure that they are members of the British Pest Control Association. Details of companies can be found in the Yellow Pages or Thomson Directories. These private companies will charge for carrying out any treatment.

Last Updated: 21/02/2017
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud