Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Building Control - Building Regulations

Building Regulations

The standards in relation to new and altered buildings cover:

  • Structural Stability
  • Fire precautions and means of escape
  • Resistance to weathering
  • Contaminated Land
  • Sound transmission in dwellings
  • Heating and Ventilation systems
  • Water supplies and drainage
  • Adequacy of stairs and guardings
  • Energy conservation
  • Access for disabled persons
  • Safety glazing

If the building work you are planning to carry out if affected by any of the above, you will probably need to seek approval from the building control department. There is a fee payable. Please remember these are legal requirements, so it is worth checking with the Building control department if you are in any doubt well in advance of starting the work.

Full Plans Approval vs Building Notice


Full Plans


Building Notice

Detailed drawings, specifications and calculations are approved to building regulation standards


Drawings are not approved, no matter how detailed

In most cases professional advice is necessary to prepare the required fully detailed information


Limited details initially required, although further details may be necessary as works proceed

Commencement possible after 48 hrs notice, although works are at the applicants own risk until the plans are approved


Commencement is possible 48 hours after the notice is registered

The plan fee is payable upon deposit of the plans. The inspection fee is due after the first site inspection


The full fee is required with the notice at the time of submission

Further information is only required if works on site vary from the approved plans


Further information might be required at any time to justify the works on site

Notice is required at various stages of the works to enable the key stages to be inspected


Notices also required at key stages. However, more emphasis is placed on discussions during site visits

Approved drawings gives the applicant the reassurance that the works on site comply with the regulations, and the drawings provide a sound basis for estimating purposes


The builder must be capable of constructing the works to the required standards without detailed (approved) drawings. The possibility arises for unforeseen extras to arise during the project

Recommended for the majority of cases, particularly complex and larger projects, and loft conversations


Recommended for projects of a minor (domestic) nature, cannot be used for work on designated buildings i.e. those requiring a fire certificate (e.g. offices, shops etc)


Getting Approval

If your building work needs building regulation approval, there are two procedures available to choose from, the full plans option or the building notice option

Full Plans Option

  •  Complete a building regulations full plan application form
  • Deposit the form together with plans and prescribed “plan fee”
  • Work may start after giving 48 hours notice, prior to formal approval, but at own risk and subject to any planning permission that may be required
  • If there are any queries following the inspection of the plans, a letter will be sent,
  • or a telephone call made to applicants giving an opportunity for any necessary amendments to be agreed
  • A Notice of Passing of Plans is issued normally within five weeks of deposit
  • After the first inspection an invoice for the “inspection fee” will be issued
  • The normally statutory inspections will take place i.e. foundations, damp proof course, drains etc along with routine inspections
  • Completion certificate issued on satisfactory completion of the work

Getting Approval for Completed Work

If unauthorised building work has been carried out, you may be able to get retrospective approval by making a Regularisation Application. This is only possible for works carried out since 6 January 1986

Regularisation Application Option

For building works which have been carried out unauthorised without “enforcement” being taken against them and work appears to have commenced on or after 11 November 1985


  • Complete a regularisation notice form
  • Deposit a form with the appropriate regularisation fee. Provide plans and details of any additional work required to make the construction comply with the building regulations
  • A building control officer will visit the site and discuss with you what work, if any, is required and any areas that need to be exposed
  • Building control will liase with their colleagues in planning ( and other relevant departments) with regard to other permissions that may be required
  • A regularisation certificate is issued upon satisfactory completion of the work, as seen. The regularisation certificate can then be kept with the deeds of the property for reference

Making an Application

The building regulations will probably apply if you plan to carry out any of the following work:

  • Build a new building or extend an existing building, unless the building or extension is exempt for the regulations (see below)
  • Make structural alterations to an existing building (including underpinning)
  • Change the use of an existing building (in certain cases)
  • Provide, extend or alter drainage facilities
  • Fit a heat-producing appliance (gas appliances installed by people approved under the Gas Safety Regulations are usually exempt from the building regulations)
  • Install cavity wall insulation
  • Install an un-vented hot water storage system


The following list gives the more common types of building work which are exempt from the building regulations. The list does not include all exempt buildings and work.

  •  Installation of replacement of electrical wiring
  • Installation of replacement drainage (unless the work involves new drainage or plumbing systems)
  • Minor repairs

Detached Buildings

  •  A detached single storey building with a floor area less than 30m2, which has no bedrooms and no point of the building is less than one metre from the boundary of its grounds
  • The building is mainly built of materials which do not catch fire easily
  • A detached building with a floor area less than 15m2 which has no bedrooms


  • A conservatory (used for growing plants), porch, covered yard or covered way; a carport which is open on at least two sides
  • The floor area of the extension must be 30m2 to be exempt. For a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glass must meet the requirements of Part N of Schedule 1 (Glazing – material and protection)

Starting Work

You can begin work at any time after you have submitted a Full Plans Application or a Building Notice as long as you give two days notice of starting work.

In the case of a Full Plans Application, it is advisable to wait until you have received a decision before you commence work.

The person carrying out building work (you or your builder, if you have one) must tell us when you have completed the following stages (where appropriate), so that we can inspect the work:

  • Excavations for the foundations
  • Installations the foundations
  • Oversite
  • Installing a damp-proof course
  • Installing the foul-water drains
  • Installing the surface-water drains
  • Completing the work

You must also tell us if someone moves into the property before the work is completed. In order to provide the best possible service our surveyor may ask you to tell them when you reach other stages (for example, roof construction).

We will carry out inspections as necessary. If you contact us before 10am we can usually do the inspection on the same day.

General Enquiries

Building Control
Development Group
Communities Directorate
Bridgend County Borough Council
Civic Offices
Angel Street
CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643408   Fax: 01656 643190   E-mail:

Last Updated: 30/09/2016
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud