Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Building Control – Sewers and Drains

The pipe that exits your house is called a drain if this drain then joins a drain from another property the pipe becomes a sewer from that joint onwards.

Responsibilities for unblocking or repairing sections of foul sewer systems depends upon whether or not the sewer is classed as public or private. As of 1st October 2011, all sewers i.e. more than two dwellings on a sewer have been adopted by Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water and so cleaning and maintaining the sewer is the responsibility of Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water.

Your household drain may flow straight into the public sewer. If a blockage occurs anywhere in this private drain you have sole responsibility for unblocking or carrying out any repairs, this responsibility extends to your boundary.

Your sewerage undertaker (Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water) can be contacted on 0800 085 3968.

If you have any queries about the new build over sewer process, please do not hesitate to contact Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water on 0800 917 2652 or email 

Further information available at 

General Enquiries

Building Control
Development Group
Communities Directorate
Bridgend County Borough Council
Civic Offices
Angel Street
CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643408    Fax: 01656 643190    E-mail:

Last Updated: 30/11/2016
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud