Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Common Housing Register

Council Housing Register 1

Council Housing Register 2

The Council and the four main housing associations that operate in the County Borough (Hafod, Linc-Cymru, Valleys to Coast and Wales & West) have changed the way social rented housing is allocated. To do this we have set up one housing register so that people will be able to apply for social rented housing by making only one application. This register is called the Bridgend Common Housing Register. We have also developed a policy called the Social Housing Allocation Policy. This sets out how social rented housing will be allocated.

How do I apply to the Common Housing Register?

An important feature of the new process is the elimination of paper application forms. A customer will always be interviewed, either face to face or over the telephone, during all stages of the application process. It is anticipated that this will provide a more personal level of service to the customer and ensure the customer’s housing needs are being identified and dealt with.

Anyone can apply for social rented housing, but you must be in housing need as described in the Social Housing Allocation Policy to be added to the Common Housing Register. If you don't get added to the Common Housing Register the Council will give you advice about what other housing options might be available to you.

You can request an interview in person or by telephone by contacting the Council at the Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB, telephone 01656 643643, text relay 18001 01656 643643.

I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

People are often surprised at how few properties the housing associations have available to let, and how long the waiting list is. The Waiting Time Calculator provides information to help people decide whether renting from a housing association is the right option for them. The Waiting Time Calculator includes details of:

  • Where the housing association properties are
  • The number of properties allocated in areas of the county borough
  • The number of people waiting to be housed in that area
  • An estimated waiting time

I haven't applied yet - what are my options?

You can use the Waiting Time Calculator for an idea of the availability of properties in different areas of the county borough and how many people are waiting.

Due to the shortage of housing association properties, we cannot offer everyone who applies to us a home from the waiting list.

As the demand for accommodation is high and waiting times can be long, you may want to consider.

  • Renting in the private sector
  • Affordable homes for sale
  • Swapping your home with another council or housing association tenant (if you are already a tenant of a council or housing association)
  • Widening your areas of choice

Who are the housing associations?

Valleys to Coast

Wales & West



Are you currently a council or housing association tenant?

If you are a current council or housing association tenant and you would like to move, you can apply for a transfer or a mutual exchange.

Bridgend uses the national mutual exchange service provided by Homeswapper. It is an internet based national scheme and you can find another social housing tenant to swap homes with, in or outside Bridgend. More information on how the Homeswapper scheme works can be found at

Last Updated: 23/07/2015
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud