Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Email: talktous@bridgend.gov.uk
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Friday 8.00am - 5.30pm

How to find us

Affordable Housing

What is affordable housing?

With house prices beyond the reach of many people, the demand for affordable housing has increased. Bridgend Council work alongside housing associations, the Welsh Assembly Government and private developers to deliver a range of affordable products that cater to the needs of people whose incomes do not allow them to purchase a home outright without assistance.

Affordable housing is the availability of affordable social rented housing and intermediate housing. Intermediate housing is where prices or rents are above those of social rented housing but below housing market prices or below market rents.

Discounted market purchase

Brand new properties owned by housing associations or housing developers are sold at a discounted price on the open market. The amount of discount available will vary across each type of development.

Homebuy

With homebuy you can purchase a home on the open market and receive a loan from a housing association for 30% towards the purchase price. You will need to fund the remaining 70% yourself through a conventional mortgage and savings.

Debut homes

Debut homes are sold with the option of shared equity. This shared equity sum is fixed at the outset and won't rise when the value of the property does. This makes owning a new debut home more affordable and means that you reap all the financial benefits of future capital growth. The shared equity fixed sum can be redeemed at any time within 10 years of purchase. You can repay it via occasional lump sums, monthly repayments or in whole at any time. And it's totally interest free, although shared equity is subject to availability.

Social Rented Housing

Housing associations (also known as registered social landlords) provide affordable housing to those who need it. Although the Council no longer own housing stock within the Borough, lettings may be offered to people when nominated by Bridgend County Borough Council.

Last Updated: 11/06/2015
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to Gov.uk - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud