Here you can find information about concessionary bus passes for people aged 60 or older and people with impaired mobility.
Who is eligible for a free concessionary bus pass?
At the age of 60 and above, all men and women who reside in Bridgend County Borough are eligible to receive a free concessionary bus pass giving unlimited travel on all local bus services throughout Wales.
In other words, if a bus pass holder from Bridgend County Borough visits relatives in Rhyl, the pass will allow them free use of Rhyl’s local buses.
For persons with certain classes of disability, there is no age limit to receiving a pass. In these cases, applications are invited from people who are:
- In receipt of Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (HRMCDLA)
- In receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- In receipt of War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- In receipt of an award under Tariffs 1-8 of the War Veterans Compensation Scheme (AFCS)
- Severely sight impaired or sight impaired
- Severely deaf or profoundly deaf
- In receipt of a blue badge
- Without speech
- Have an impairment or injury that has a substantial long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- Without arms or the long-term loss of the use of both arms
- Have a Cognitive Impairment, which reduces their ability to understand some new or complex information, a difficulty in learning some new skills, unable to cope independently, qualify for specialist services and have had special educational provision?
- Unlikely to be granted a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and would have an application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) other than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol?
Download a copy of the Disabled Bus Pass Eligibility Self-Assessment Form here
An additional benefit is available to persons who, by the nature of their impairment, would require the assistance of companion when making a journey. However, the effect of the impairment may mean that the pass holder does not need assistance on every journey.
In these cases, a companion pass can be issued, subject to medical evidence of the impairment, which allows the pass-holder to travel with a companion free of charge. There may be a charge for this service which is payable by the applicant.
How to apply
Applications for the free concessionary bus pass can be accepted up to 3 weeks prior to your 60th birthday and should be made at the following places:
- Aberkenfig Library.
- Benefits Counter, Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend.
- Maesteg Library.
- Ogmore Vale Life Centre.
- Pencoed Library.
- Pontycymer Library.
- Porthcawl Library.
- Pyle Life Centre.
Each application form must be accompanied by a recent passport-style colour photograph of the applicant that can be used for the bus pass.
Download a copy of the concessionary pass application form here.
Proof of eligibility, such as a birth certificate, passport, driving licence or pension book, will be required to verify the applicant’s age, plus a utility bill, council tax bill or bank statement as proof of address.
In the case of applications for reasons other than age entitlement, additional documentation may be required.
Applicants are asked to apply in person as it enables the documents supplied as evidence of eligibility to be immediately returned. However, applications will be accepted from persons acting on the applicant’s behalf providing the necessary evidence of eligibility is produced.
Once the application has been accepted, passes will be processed within 21 working days and will be posted directly to the applicant’s home address. Applicants need to satisfy only one of the above criteria to be eligible.
Replacement bus passes will be processed within 7-10 working days and may incur a £5.00 charge.
For further information please telephone 01656 642559.
Passenger Transport Co-ordination Unit
Bridgend County Borough Council
Uned Cydgysylltu Cludiant Teithwyr
Y Gyfarwyddiaeth Gymunedau
Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr
Stryd yr Angel
Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr
Telephone: 01656 642559
Fax: 01656 642859