Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Street Works





The Street Works Section deals with works in the public highway, primarily undertaken by service companies, such as the Water, Gas, Electricity and Telecommunication companies. We also deal with Temporary Road Closures and temporary traffic orders such as temporary speed limits and temporary parking restrictions.

The section has an input into public events affecting the highway and considers applications to work, or excavate in the highway from housing/commercial property developers, builders and private individuals.

The areas we cover tie into our responsibilities to ensure that disruption due to activities affecting the highway are kept to a minimum and that the structure of the highway is protected from damage, particular where new mains and services are installed. When co-ordinating works on the highway we need to consider all highway users including pedestrians, cyclists as well as vehicles and people with a disability.

We need to ensure that works do not clash, or sets of works are grouped together where practical and to ensure that newly surfaced roads are not needlessly re-excavated unless emergencies occur, or essential services need to be restored.

For current information regarding road works affecting roads within the Authority use the following link. Road Works.

If you have concerns or enquires about mains or service company works undertaken in the highway; including works that appear to be over-running, are causing disruption; or wish to report poor quality workmanship following mains or service works undertaken in the highway, please contact us on 01656 642541, or e-mail

If you are a developer, builder or private individual wishing to install drainage, mains, services, or duct lines in the highway, please click the following link for an application and guidance (SECTION 50 LICENCE Link) For advice, please contact The Street Works Section on 01656 642866

If you are undertaking works, activities, or organising an event that is likely to result in a highway being closed for any period of time, please complete the application that can be downloaded from the following link (Road Closure Application Link) For advice, please contact The Street Works Section on 01656 642866

NOTE: See link for the latest advice regarding Changes to the Management of Events affecting the Highway (3rd August 2010).

If you are requiring to place temporary, or portable traffic signals on the highway please follow the following link to download our application form and guidance. (Temporary Traffic Signal Notice/application & Guidance Link).

Where works, activities, events etc may affect the highway by limiting its width in any way; or if you are working adjacent to the highway and you have any concerns over your safety, or the safety of other highway users, you are advised to contact The Street Works Section on 01656 642848.

Please note that if the works you are undertaking directly affect the highway you will be required to provide evidence of public liability insurance and submit a method statement indicating how you intend to undertake the works or activities.

Other Useful Links

These sites link to the legislation and codes of practice the department works to and provide information for those who may want to look into the background of the Street Works section’s responsibilities.

Last Updated: 09/03/2016
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud