Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Data Protection

The Data Protection Act 1998 regulates the processing of information relating to individuals, including the obtaining, holding, use or disclosure of such information.  Bridgend County Borough Council is registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 allowing the Council to hold and process personal data.

To ensure that the Council handles personal data lawfully and appropriately it must comply with the Data Protection Act and in particular the Data Protection Principles.

The Council endorses and adheres to the Data Protection Principles which require that personal data:

  Shall be processed fairly and lawfully and in particular shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met

  • Shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
  • Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
  • Shall be accurate and when necessary kept up to date.
  • Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes
  • Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of the Data subject under the Act
  • Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of or damage to personal data.
  • Shall not be transferred to a country of territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedom of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.

What are my rights under the Act?

  • To be informed by the Council whether your data is being processed
  • To make a subject access request
  • To ask for incorrect data to be corrected
  • To ask the Council not to use your information for direct marketing or to make decisions about you based on the automatic processing of the data
  • To ask the Council not to use your data if it is likely to cause you damage or distress
  • To seek compensation for damage or distress by the Council’s failure to comply with certain requirements of the Act

Why do you keep personal information?

The Council offers a wide range of services to its customers and clients.  We need to obtain and use personal information so that we can deliver the services people need and to keep a record of those services.

Does the Council need my consent to use my information?

In most cases we will not disclose personal data without your consent.  However, there are situations where consent would not be required such as:

  • The Council is required to provide the information by law or the order of a Court
  • The information is needed to prevent or detect crime
  • The Council is obliged to publish the information by law
  • The disclosure is in the vital interests of the person concerned
  • The disclosure is necessary for safeguarding public interests

Depending on the purpose for which we originally obtained it and the use to which it is to be put, personal information may be shared with other departments within the Council and other organisations and public bodies.  In such cases, the information provided is only the minimum necessary to enable them to provide services to you.

How do I ask to see my information?

You must write to the Information Officer, Legal & Regulatory Services, Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB or email to  We recommend that you use the Subject Access Request Form available at the following link:data subject access form is available here

A reply to a subject access request is normally made within 40 calendar days.  Proof of ID and any information needed to locate the information may be required.

What do I do if my data is incorrect?

You should write to the Information Officer (address above) telling us what data is incorrect.  We must respond to you within 21 days.

What do I do if I am not satisfied that my data has been handled in accordance with the Act?

The Council tries to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information.  For this reason, we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously.

If you are dissatisfied with the way your data has been handled, please contact our Complaints Officer at the Council.  You may also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

How long do you keep my personal data?

The length of time we will keep personal information depends on the purpose for which it is being processed.  The Council adheres to the Data Protection Principle that personal data shall not be kept for longer than is necessary.

Further information about the Data Protection Act can be found on the ICO’s website:

Bridgend County Borough Council - Data Protection Policy.

Last Updated: 13/01/2017
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud