Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Paying for Childcare

Childcare may seem costly, but before you decide you cannot afford it, remember that most families are entitled to financial help. This help includes:

Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit supports families with children. You can claim whether or not you are in work. Child Tax Credit is paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children. It may be used to cover your childcare costs, but it is not specifically a payment for childcare.
Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit supports working people (whether employed or self employed) on low incomes by topping up their earnings. You need to be aged at least 16 and work the following hours to get Working Tax Credit.

If you're single, you need to do paid work of at least 16 hours a week

If you're in a couple, your joint paid working hours need to be at least 24 a week, with one of you working at least 16 hours a week

Working Tax Credit if you are not working.

Childcare Element of Working Tax Credit With the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credit you may be able to get extra help with the costs of registered or approved childcare. The maximum share of costs met in the childcare element of the working tax credit is 70%. Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit do not affect Child Benefit payments, which are paid separately.


0845 3003900

Assisted places and Helping Hands Schemes These schemes provide extra money to childcare providers and/or families on low income or specific benefits so that they can afford quality childcare. Some of these schemes enable providers to offer a fully inclusive service for all children regardless of needs.
Free part-time education for all 3 year olds In addition, remember that all 3 year olds are entitled to free part-time early education places during the term following their 3rd birthday.
Childcare vouchers from some employers

Finally, some employers may help you cover the cost of childcare by giving you vouchers.

One of the voucher providers is:

Computer Share Voucher Services

take a look and get an idea of how the system works; but remember that each employer uses different systems and voucher schemes, so check with them first.

Last Updated: 16/03/2016
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud