Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

How do I report a changes in my circumstances?

You must tell us straight away if there has been a change in your circumstances that may make a difference to your existing Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax Reduction entitlement.

Telling another government department - such as the Inland Revenue, Job Centre Plus or the Department for Works and Pensions - does NOT mean that we will be notified about the changes.

When do I have to tell you about the changes?
You should tell us as soon as you can about any changes in your circumstances. If you don’t you could lose benefit or your benefit could be overpaid.

If you tell us within one month we shall usually work out your new benefit entitlement from the Monday following the date the change happened.
If you leave it longer than one month and the change means that you will get more benefit we can only work out the new benefit from the Monday after you have told us. This would mean that you lose benefit.

If the change means that you will get less benefit we will always work out your new benefit rate from the Monday following the date of the change. If you delay telling us you might be overpaid benefit and have to pay it back. For Council Tax Reduction we will take the money out of your Council Tax account and you will receive a new bill showing you have more to pay.

How should I tell you about any changes?

You must tell us about any changes in writing. You should let us know what has changed and the date the change took place, giving as many details as possible. For example, we need to know the full name and date of birth of someone who has come to live with you, as well as the date they moved into your home. We usually need some proof of any changes and we require original documents. Photocopies are not accepted. Original documents will be photocopied free of charge in the Civic Offices or at any of the local contact points.

If you don’t have any evidence do not delay in telling us about the change. You can provide proof later when it is available.


What kind of changes do I have to tell you about?

Below are some examples of the types of changes you should tell us about.

Changes in benefits

For example, if you or your partner stop receiving:

  • Income Support.
  • Jobseekers Allowance.
  • Any other benefit.

Changes in income

For example, if there is a change in you or your partner’s:

  • Wages.
  • Tax credits.
  • Pension.
  • Any other income.

People who live with you

For example, 

  • Anyone comes to live with you or moves out.
  • Someone who lives with you starts or stops work.
  • There is a change in the income of someone who lives with you.
  • A child is born.
  • A child leaves school.

Bank accounts, savings and investments

You must tell us if there are any changes in your bank accounts, savings or other investments. However you do not need to tell us about the day-to-day changes to your current account or value of shares on the stock market.

Private rents

You must tell us if:

  • Your landlord puts your rent up or down.
  • The services included in your rent change.
  • The part of the property you live in changes.

Other changes

You need to tell us if you:

  • Move.
  • Live away from home.
  • Become a student or finish a course.
  • Go into hospital.
  • Go into prison.
  • Have a partner of the same sex, whether or not your partnership has been registered in a Civil Ceremony.

The above does not cover all of the changes we need to know about. If you are not sure whether we need to know about a change let us know anyway. Don’t leave it until the next time you fill in a claim form.

Last Updated: 13/07/2017
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud