Bridgend County Borough Council,Civic Offices, Angel Street, Bridgend, CF31 4WB

Tel: 01656 643643
Text Relay:
18001 01656 643643
Fax: 01656 668126
Sign Video BSL Live

Opening times
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm

How to find us

Appeals for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Appeals for Housing Benefits 

There are various regulations that tell us how to work out your benefit, how to pay your benefit and how any overpayment of benefit should be recovered.

You have the right to:

  • Know how we have calculated your benefit.
  • Ask for an explanation of the decision we have made.
  • Ask us to look at your claim again.
  • Challenge any decision we have made.
  • Ask for an independent appeal tribunal to look at any decision we have made.

  • The appeals process

If you want more information about our decision you must contact us straight away. You can ask for a written statement of reasons for the decision. The statement of reasons sets out:

  • The information we have used to make our decision.
  • How your benefit has been calculated.
  • The way any overpayment has been calculated (if applicable).
  • The relevant Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance / Council Tax Reduction Regulations that have been used to reach our decision and the reasons why they do or do not apply.

You can ask us to look at your claim again or you can appeal against our decision, but you only have one month from the date of the decision letter to do either of these things.

If you want us to look at the decision again.

You must request this in writing and we shall check if the decision is correct. If the decision is wrong we will change it. If the decision cannot be changed we shall write and inform you. In either case, if you appeal, the one month time limit starts again.

If you want to appeal against the decision.

If you want to appeal against the decision you must let us know within one month of the decision letter (or if you asked us to look at the decision again, one month from that decision).

You must write down the decision you are appealing against and the reasons for your appeal and make sure you sign it. If our decision is wrong we shall change it. If the decision cannot be changed the appeals service will then look at your appeal at a tribunal hearing. The tribunal is independent from the council and is made up of legally qualified people trained in Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance.

If your appeal is late you must include an explanation of why you could not appeal within one month.

Please note that some decisions do not carry the right to appeal.

Appeals for Council Tax Reduction

 Rights of appeal

Council Tax Reduction is not a benefit and the appeals process differs to that for Housing Benefit. If you disagree with our decision you will need to write to us and explain why you think the decision is wrong. This should be done as quickly as possible after we have made our decision.

A signed letter must be supplied to the authority stating the nature of the appeal and provide additional evidence where appropriate.

The matter will then be considered further and BCBC must reply within two months notifying the party concerned of their decision. 

If they are still not satisfied with the decision of the Billing Authority they can appeal and this should be addressed to the Valuation Tribunal for Wales, South Wales Region, Gold Tops, Newport, NP20 4PG.

If agreed by both parties, the tribunal will then deal with the case via written representations. Otherwise a date will be set for a formal hearing. You will only incur a cost if you choose to employ a solicitor. We will then abide by the decision of the tribunal.

You should always continue to pay your original bill until a decision has been made on your appeal.



Last Updated: 03/12/2014
Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Link to - public services all in one place National Assembly for Wales Browsealoud